Our Mission & Vision Statements
- The ArtsCenter exists in order to inspire artistic creativity and to enrich the lives of people of all ages.
- The vision of The ArtsCenter is to create an educational environment that provides opportunities, inspiration and tools to people of all ages and skill levels to participate in the arts.
What we do
The ArtsCenter is unique in that it serves both professionals and amateurs through its wide variety of programs, events and classes. The ArtsCenter began more than 25 years ago, then known as "The ArtSchool," as a single painting class. Today, The ArtsCenter serves more than 50,000 people each year.
This unique not-for-profit community gathering place offers the best in:
- Art Classes
- Theater Productions
- Children and Family programs
- Gallery Exhibits
- Classes range from dance, to visual art, to writing, music and cooking. Toddlers to senior citizens enjoy the variety of courses offered during each of three annual sessions. Patrons contributing to the "ArtsClub" program are eligible to receive discounts on class tuition.
- ArtSchool at The ArtsCenter is Orange County's most comprehensive non-profit resource for continuing education in the arts on a non-degree, community basis. Opportunities abound for students of all ages - toddlers to seniors - to try their hand at a variety of artistic media or to increase their skills in intermediate/advanced classes. ArtSchool serves as a resource for many of the area's professional artists, who experience teaching as a way of sharing their expertise, while keeping their own work continually challenged. Fall, Winter/Spring and Summer sessions are scheduled annually.
- The Youth Performing Arts Conservatory is designed to offer students a well-rounded performing arts education. Students explore a huge range of performance styles and techniques - everything from acting to dance, chorus, improvisation, stage combat, radio drama, on-camera acting and more! Classes use games, exercises, improvisation, monologues, scenes and short plays to give students the chance to develop confidence, collaboration, and performance skills. Designed for young people with a genuine enthusiasm for performing, YPAC classes encourage students to build self-confidence, expand and develop communication skills, stimulate their imagination and work as an ensemble.?
- Arts In Education offers short and long-term residency options for classroom teachers, where professional artists work in regular classroom setting to teach specific curriculum concepts through arts integration.
- Concerts in one of The ArtsCenter's two theaters feature local, national and international music crisscrossing the musical spectrum. If you're looking for the blues, fusion, folk-rock, Celtic, or rock'n'roll, you'll find it at The ArtsCenter.
- Theater productions feature local, national and international performers staging classics, improvisational theater and new works in The ArtsCenter's two theaters.
- Children's and Family Programs are designed to bring the joy of live performance, with an educational, multicultural emphasis, into the homes and hearts of children and their families. The ArtsCenter reaches out to children through the SuperFun Series, which offers weekend and holiday entertainment; the School Show Series, designed to support school curriculum; KidsCamp, offering arts enrichment throughout the summer; and AfterSchool Arts Immersion (AAI); AAI, the area's only after school arts program for children ages 6-12.
- Our School Show Series is specifically designed to enhance and supplement school curricula through the arts. This series offers performances at The ArtsCenter during school hours that appeal to preK, elementary, middle, and high school students. Many School Shows also have Ackland Adventures components, which are gallery lessons offered by the Ackland Art Museum for K-12 students or community groups in conjunction with selected School Shows.
- AfterSchool Arts Immersion (AAI) is the area's only arts-based afterschool program for students in grades K-5. The core of our program is residencies taught by area teaching artists that are artistically and culturally engaging and altogether FUN! Additional, each day includes supervised homework assistance and free play time, striking the perfect balance between the structure your child needs and the creative freedom your child deserves. AAI serves students from a number of area schools, which means your young artist will interact with a diverse population of young people. With only 36 available spaces, AAI is limited in the number of young artists we serve, but the fun and creativity is endless! ?
- Camps (K-7th Grade): ArtsCamps offer a wide variety of opportunities for your child to explore his/her creativity. From painting, ceramics, and collage to photography, movement, and drama, your child is sure to find something that nurtures his/her artistic interests. With one-week and two-week programs, half-day and full-day options, as well as an early arrival and late departure service, our camps provide you with many options. Mix and match among our three programs – KidsCamp, ArtsFocus, and Little Campers – to fit your schedule and your child’s interests. We also offer camps for teens through our YPAC program.
- The Center Gallery and East End Gallery feature the work of local and regional artists on a rotating basis. Monthly exhibits, special programs and workshops in the visual arts promote the work of emerging and established visual artists.
The ArtsCenter's programs are supported in part by grants from The National Endowment for the Arts, the North Carolina Arts Council, The Orange County Arts Commission, Pennsylvania Performing Arts on Tour, GlaxoSmithKline, the Grable Foundation, Strowd Roses Foundation, Mary Duke Biddle Foundation, Michael and Laura Brader Araje Foundation, Shared Visions Foundation and the towns of Carrboro and Chapel Hill and Orange County.
We enjoy partnerships with many businesses and organizations which enhance programming and publicity in a variety of ways. We are grateful for their support and ask you to support them with your patronage.
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
The Chapel Hill Herald
The Chapel Hill News
Macon Thomason Real Estate
Resolute Building Company
The Chapel Hill Board of Realtors
The Talking Phone Book
The Chapel Hill/Carrboro Chamber of Commerce
Get in Touch With Us!
For General inquiries contact: email@example.com
- For ArtSchool inquiries contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For Concerts and Facilities Rental inquiries contact: email@example.com
- For ArtsCenter Stage inquiries contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For Marketing inquiries contact: email@example.com
- For AfterSchool Arts Immersion inquiries contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For Childrens Programming inquiries contact: email@example.com
- For Development/Fundraising inquiries contact: firstname.lastname@example.org