CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS:
The ArtsCenter and Kalisher present One World
Kalisher and The ArtsCenter are curating an exhibition, One World, showcasing photography by Jesse Kalisher and you. Jesse Kalisher passed away on July 20, 2017. In his memory, photography exhibitions will be installed at The ArtsCenter and Town Hall in Carrboro.
We are seeking B&W fine art photography submissions akin to Jesse Kalisher’s travel and location collection. Your photo(s) should show the experience of a place, seen through the eyes of an adventurer. While the content may or may not include people, nor does it have to be local to North Carolina, it should instill a sense of place.
• 1-3 photographs may be submitted. Send images as email attachments to email@example.com with subject line “Kalisher Photography Submission”. (jpg., tif., and psd. are acceptable formats)
• B&W submissions are preferred. If photo submitted is not B&W, Kalisher will develop it to be so.
• All submissions should be taken with a 5 megapixel or better camera.
• Deadline for submissions is September 13th, 2017.
• By submitting work, you agree to grant a limited single-use license to print, frame and sell your image. Artist retains all copyright on their image. Selected submissions are considered donations and all proceeds from sales of framed works will go to the Triangle Land Conservancy in memory of Jesse Kalisher.
• Selected submissions will be printed once and exclusively for One World exhibition at the Carrboro Town Hall, October-December 2017.
• Selected submissions that are printed, framed, and featured in the exhibition, but do not sell, will be held by The ArtsCenter until January 10th, 2018. Until that time, artists may come to The ArtsCenter to collect and keep their framed photograph. After such time, all framed works become property of The ArtsCenter.
The ArtsCenter’s Annual Instructor Exhibit
in The Nicholson Gallery
Each year The ArtsCenter invites its instructors to display their work in the Annual Instructor Exhibit in September. This is the second year that the exhibition is curated to feature instructors from 2-3 selected departments. Curating the exhibition with this focus provides a cohesive show that better exemplifies each participant’s expertise as an instructor and talent as an artist.
Opening Reception: Friday, September 8th 6-8pm in the Nicholson Gallery and will be held in conjunction with the 2nd Friday ArtWalk. The exhibit will be on display September 1-30.
Vera Reed as September’s Emerging Artist
in The ArtsCenter Corridor
This month’s Emerging Artist, Vera Reed, exhibits a retrospective of self-portraits, each one representing a significant time in Reed’s life–from reflecting on formative yet innocent moments in childhood, to studying at prestigious art schools, to battling the demons of mental illness. Her portraits and writings provide an insightful and deeply moving story of joy and wonder as well as the struggles she has overcome.
Opening Reception: Friday, September 8th 6-8pm in the ArtsCenter Corridor and will be held in conjunction with the 2nd Friday ArtWalk. The exhibit will be on display September 1-30.
The ArtsCenter is excited to announce its partnership with the Town of Carrboro for 2017-2018 for four exhibitions at the Town Hall. Each quarterly exhibit will feature 4-5 local artists’ work curated by Heather Gerni.
The first exhibition at the Carrboro Town Hall features Onicas Gaddis, Dawn Hummer, Karin Neuvirth, Melanie See, and Nancy Smith. The exhibit will be on display now through October. The opening reception will be held Friday, August 11th 6-9pm at the Town Hall. Additional receptions will be on the following 2nd Friday ArtWalks on September 8th and October 13th. For more information contact Heather at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are interested in exhibiting in the Nicholson Gallery at The ArtsCenter, click here for an application. Applications are accepted on a continuous basis for the Nicholson Gallery. Applications for the Emerging Artist Series will be accepted during select periods. The ArtsCenter will be accepting EAS applications again in the Spring 2017. For more information, contact the Gallery Coordinator Heather Gerni Mulaiya at email@example.com.
Annual ArtsCenter Exhibits:
- Student Exhibit (March)
- Instructor Exhibit (September)
- Community Art Exhibit (December)
**Please note that all gallery sales are final.