Saturday, Jun 12, 9am – 4pm (In-person)
Emphasis will be on drawing the shadow and light shapes first, then developing the form and adding highlights and darkening shadows. The instructor will supply photos to work from throughout the day, or students can bring pre-approved photos of their own pets to practice with. In the first several painting sessions of the day, students will practice the initial steps of a pet portrait, and in the afternoon students will complete one pet portrait fully.
- Titanium White
- Ivory Black
- Cadmium Red Medium
- Yellow Ochre
- Ultramarine Blue (optional)
- Cadmium Yellow Medium (optional)
- Cerulean Blue (optional)
- Arches brand Cold Pressed 140 lb. 12 Sheet Tape-Bound Oil Paper Pad 12×16 inches
- Paint Palette (any but I love the New Wave 12×16 glass palette with gray background)
- Masterson Palette Seal Box that fits your palette (optional but highly recommend)
- Paper Towels (blue “shop” towels are great – find them at hardware stores)
- Palette knife or single edge blade to scrape palette
- Artist Tape
- Two empty jars with lids (Instructor will provide Gamsol and Linseed Oil)
- Brushes: Student choice, but Instructor favorites are small brights or flats (4,6,8) … (favorite brand Trekell Golden Taklon) and one larger brush for initial wash/background/large shapes
About the Instructor:
Christy is known for both her representational oil paintings and whimsical cut paper collages. She finds inspiration in North Carolina nature, when drawing and painting from life, and through the process of painting itself which provides a constant opportunity for learning and new experiences. Now in Chapel Hill, Christy grew up in eastern North Carolina and has also lived in DC and Nashville. She is an art educator with experience designing curriculum and teaching at Montessori schools and art museums including the National Portrait Gallery and Frist Art Museum. She majored in studio art and elementary education at UNC Chapel Hill and also has a master of education from Vanderbilt University. Her art is represented by Well+Wonder, Serena & Lily, and G. Grace Gallery, and you can view her work at christymking.com or on Instagram @christymking.
In-person classes offered during the pandemic are conducted at a low maximum capacity and with social distancing measures in place. Masks must be worn at all times. Students are required to sign a liability waiver before attending in-person classes. Refunds and exchanges are not offered for online or in-person classes offered during the pandemic.
All ArtSchool registrations have a $3 processing fee added upon check-out.
ArtsCenter members receive 15% off of the cost of this course!
All ArtSchool classes are 15 years old and up unless otherwise specified.