Wellington – Thursdays, May 13-Jun 10, 6:30-9 pm (In-person)
Ever wonder how some people can take an event from their lives and somehow transform it into an engaging and relatable story? Through a variety of theatre and performance activities, structured feedback and group discussion, we will work together towards crafting and telling one 4- to 7- minute personal story. On the way, we will…
● Find the Emotional Truth (you’ve got to start here- or try!)
● Maximize Stakes & Surprise (you need to really care for us to care!)
● Build Scenes & Transitions (make a movie in our minds)
● Start & Stop (where most people get it wrong)
● Add Dialogue & Detail (only to advance action and/or reveal character)
● Create Wonder, Control Wander (you’ve always got to keep us IN it)
● Bust Myths (and some secret sauce!)
● Rehearse and Refine your Delivery (Practice, baby, practice!)
Whether you want to tell this story at a slam, improve your interview skills, impress a date or close a sale, this class will improve your skills and enhance your toolbox. This class will culminate in a small, in-person showcase in the final session.
About the Instructor:
Sean Wellington has spent the bulk of his adult life teaching in classrooms and performing on stages. He is the founder of GRIT: True Stories that Matter, a storytelling organization/community that produces a weekly podcast, Sunday evening events and ongoing workshops. Since 2019…
● NAMI & This is My Brave, presenter
● Moth Story Slam, winner
● Crisis Text Line, crisis counselor
● TedX, speaker
● It’s Time: a solo show on suicide, writer/performer
Sean Wellington is the hardest working man in storytelling right now. The dude is a show host par none, a killer storyteller and an astute and supportive instructor. TAKE THIS CLASS. – Marya Morris, Story Jam (Chicago)
In-person classes offered during the pandemic are conducted at a low maximum capacity and with social distancing measures in place. Masks must be worn at all times. Students are required to sign a liability waiver before attending in-person classes. Refunds and exchanges are not offered for online or in-person classes offered during the pandemic.
All ArtSchool registrations have a $3 processing fee added upon check-out.
ArtsCenter members receive 15% off of the cost of this course!
All ArtSchool classes are 15 years old and up unless otherwise specified.